Monday, August 24, 2009

Vanilla Custard Ice Cream



My plan was to make chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream - and I will, someday. But after I made my cookie dough I realized my flour was stale and I just couldn't put stale tasting cookie dough into my delicious vanilla ice cream! This base is new for me though, because it's the first time I've made ice cream with eggs. And I know we've had Classic Vanilla ice cream on the blog before - but it was using a different recipe and completely different recipe type... so that's how I'm justifying posting vanilla ice cream.

~Ingredients~

2 cups heavy cream
2 cups 2% milk
1 tsp vanilla
5 egg yolks
pinch of salt
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar

~Directions~

1. Measure cream, milk, and vanilla into a medium sized sauce pan.
2. Whisk egg yolks, brown sugar, and white sugar together in a small bowl.
3. Whisk sugar and egg mixture into the cream mixture.
4. Heat over medium heat, stirring constantly until just before it begins to boil.
5. Transfer to another container (which won't crack when hit by the nearly boiling liquid)
6. Chill ice cream mixture approximately 3 hours.
7. Process ice cream in your ice cream maker until it reaches a soft-serve consistency.
8. Transfer to a freezer safe container and freeze until firm.

~Conclusion~

Very tasty - this is going to be a great base for making more interesting flavors. I only had imitation vanilla on hand **gasp**, I know it would be better if made with REAL vanilla, or with a vanilla bean.

~Reviews~

Yellow Chick: Yummy! I ate mine with chocolate syrup (which sadly, I did not make from scratch)
Mr. Yellow Chick: Likes it - he prefers vanilla so he can add whatever topping he's in the mood for.

3 comments:

  1. Do you chicks buy special bowls for each batch of ice cream? That looks so nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I did buy a couple on clearance at target a while back, but this one was part of a set of old dishes from Rick's Grandma.

    ReplyDelete