Sunday, August 2, 2009

Blackberry Sorbet



~ Ingredients ~

4 cups fresh blackberries
Slightly less than 1 cup water
2/3 cup sugar
pinch of salt
2 tsps fresh lemon juice

~ Direction ~

1. Rinse the blackberries under cool water pour onto paper towels to dry.
If you're picking fresh blackberries like I did, you might find you have a lot of "blackberry fuzz" with your berries. Place the blackberries in a 2 quart bowl. Fill with water and stir berries with your hand to allow the "fuzz" to float to the top. Carefully pour the water out of the bowl. a lot of the "fuzz" will stick the sides - wipe it off, and repeat the rinsing 2-3 more times.
2. Puree blackberries, water, and sugar in a blender until smooth.
3. Strain puree to remove seeds.
4. Add lemon juice and pinch of salt to the puree and mix well.
5. Chill mixture.
6. Add to ice cream maker and process until it reaches a soft serve consistency.
7. Transfer to container and freeze.
~ Conclusion ~
My FAVORITE so far! The fresh blackberry taste is to die for! I will definitely make this again, and I wouldn't change a thing. This was ready for the freezer in just 10 minutes - and it didn't get too much air whipped into it like my other ice creams have, so I was very happy. It's nice and "solid", but still smooth. I hope it doesn't get too icy in the freezer. I saw several notes online which indicate a little alcohol in the sorbet will keep it from becoming icy, but I don't drink alcohol, so I guess I'll just have to suck it up if it develops ice crystals.

~ Reviews ~
Yellow Chick: I LOVE it - wouldn't change a thing!
Mr. Yellow Chick: He loves it too!

1 comment: