Saturday, July 4, 2009

Fresh Cherry Ice Cream



Fresh Cherry Ice Cream


3 1/2 cups cherries, with the pits removed
1 cup granulated sugar
2 cups heavy whipping cream


1. Cut the cherries in half and removed the pits.
2. Combine cherries and sugar in a blender. Puree until smooth.
3. Add cream to ice cream maker.
4. Start the ice cream maker and pour the cherry puree into the cream.
5. Churn for 20-30 minutes or until a firm soft-serve consistency.
6. Put into a freezer safe container and freeze for several hours.


My Conclusion

I started out by just copying Brown Chick's plum ice cream exactly, except for the cherries vs. plums of course. It turned out the cherries were much sweeter than the plums, so it was far too sweet. I added an additional 1 1/2 cups of cherries, and that balanced it fairly well, but I would probably use even less sugar if I did it again.

Reviews

Yellow Chick: I think it's pretty tasty, but could be a little more tart and a little less fluffy.
Mr. Yellow Chick: He liked the flavor a lot, but doesn't like how fluffy my ice cream always seems to turn out.

2 comments:

  1. It certainly looks delicious and pretty. Fresh cherries are very kloespensive here. What do you pay for them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. They've been running about $2.50/lb lately at the grocery store. I'm not sure what the roadside stands are charging this year though... haven't stopped yet. :)

    ReplyDelete