Saturday, June 6, 2009

Caramel Apple Ice Cream




Caramel:


1 Can Sweetened Condensed Milk

1. Remove label from can of sweetened condensed milk.
2. Place unopened can in a small saucepan.
3. Fill pan with water to within about 2 1/2" of the top.
4. Cover pan and bring to a boil.
5. Reduce heat to maintain a slow boil, and cook for approximately 2 hours.
6. Remove from heat and cool completely.

Ice Cream:

12 oz Frozen Concentrated Apple Juice
2 cups Heavy Cream
1 Cup Milk (I used whole milk, because that's what I had, but any type should work)

1. Whisk together Apple Juice Concentrate, Cream, and Milk.
2. Assemble and start ice cream maker.
3. Slowly poor mixture into the ice cream maker.
4. Churn for 20-30 minutes until the ice cream reaches a soft-serve consistency (I churned mine for just over 20 minutes).

Swirl the Caramel:
1. Scoop a layer of ice cream into the freezer container.
2. Spoon a small amount of caramel over the ice cream in the freezer container.
3. Use a knife to "swirl" the caramel through the ice cream.
4. Repeat layers, adding desired amount of caramel until all the ice cream is in your container.
5. Freeze.

Conclusion:

Tastes just like a caramel apple! Even Mr. Yellow Chick agrees. I should have put more caramel in the ice cream to begin with, but since I had extra I just put more on top when I dished it up. The ice cream turned out pretty fluffy, I think even the slowest speed of my KitchenAid is a bit faster than ideal to make ice cream... so the cream got a lot of air whipped into it. Because of how much air was whipped in, it seemed a little "crumbly" when dishing it up, but I don't think that changed the taste.

Reviews:

Yellow Chick: I love it! Tastes just like a caramel apple!

Mr. Yellow Chick: "It's Delicious!" And he agreed that it tastes just like a caramel apple.



1 comment:

  1. When I come out to visit you in October, can you make some for me? :D

    ReplyDelete